Tag Archives: Quantitative Research

Quantitative VS Qualitative. Which does what?

When researching any topic, there are two main methods of researching when it comes to generalization. These are Quantitative and Qualitative.

Quantitative is the method of making an underline generalization that can briefly describe something among (typically) many other things, it is typically used when researching large quantities of data.  Typically, when it comes to surveys and such – Quantitative data is usually made up with multiple answer questions, and are explained in Batch. For example, asking 100 people if they like Cheese or not will bring about a lot of “Yes or No” answers, and as such you can display them as a bar chart or pie chart, because the information is to segregate and emphasis. In essence, this method of research is to stereotype and categorize.

Qualitative research is done with the goal of gaining specific answers from a variety of people, albeit usually a very small group of people in comparison to a quantitative method. By using this method, you are effectively spending more time in research, but are gaining answers which can be exclusive to anyone you interview or research. This is used typically after quantitative research, because quantitative is for usually finding an audience or “Base” for the research, and then the qualitative is to research the people who matter for whatever topic you may be researching.

An example of both would be – “Are you afraid of dying?”  To which 40% of people could say yes, and 60% say no – Immediately through the use of Quantitative research, we have split our batch down the middle, and have identified who is afraid and who is not. We can use further quantitative methods to identify the possible traits of those who said yes, by asking for Gender or Age, very broad topics that can possibly refine this 40% down even more, gaining a smaller and more controllable number.

Furthermore, we can then use a Qualitative method of researching by asking specific questions related to our topic a little more. Questions such as “Why are you afraid?” Or “What about dying are you afraid of?”, have the intent on gaining specific and opinionated answers from these individuals.

This is the act of Research.


Audience Research

Audience Research is when the audience is profiled and investigated in order to get a better understanding of what they want to see. Demographics are mainly used to achieve the information needed, as it can give the quantitative data, such as age, income, or how much T.V they watch. Geodemographics look at things like where they live, so they can assume the type of lifestyle that the person has, and what choices they would make from that. Questionnaires would be used to acquire direct information about what the audience wants. Websites such as BARB would be used to conduct research on the quantitative data such as ratings for certain channels or shows.


Quantitative Research

Quantitative Research is about the statistics research, like income, age or where the target audience lives, and is more about the what and when rather than the why and how. To collect this research, you would review ratings of shows, sales of DVDs or through questionnaires where the answer is multiple choice, which makes it easier to put into statistics and create charts to review.


Quantitative

What is quantitative data??

Quantitative research is numbers. This is a percentage or numbers of how many people picked there favourite super hero film.

For example – 4 people were asked what is your favourite super hero film?

3 of them choose Dark Night Rises the other one choose Avengers.

Or it could be put as,

75% choose Dark Night Rises and the other 25% choses Avengers.